Sunday, February 27, 2011

Wednesday, February 16th

It took the whole morning to fill out the paperwork and get sign-offs from the ophthalmologist, orthopedic surgeon, ear/nose/throat surgeon (ENT), and I don't know what other kind of docs, but by noon or so, we were heading out the door, booking a flight on Nick's phone as we went. Drove 2hrs to Jackson Hole and met Kristin at the airport, who happen to be picking up G's wife. Nick had a good heart-to-heart with her and I'm glad we had that opportunity, although I doubt seeing his physical state eased her anxiety about seeing her husband!

We got lucky on the Denver flight and got bumped to 1st class, where the flight attendant took my order for a vodka n' cranberry. She looked at Nick, looked back at me and said, "Shall I make that a double?"

In the hospital Nick had not used the morphine drip at his disposal, but unbeknown to him, there had been ibuprofen with the antibiotics, so by the time we were waiting in Denver for a mildly delayed Durango flight the pain meds had worn off, and he was slipping fast. He sat slumped with his burning eyes closed and never got to enjoy having people in the airport ask what had happened - he'd been looking forward to telling them a plane crash - because people were too scared to ask him.

I was bummed we were arriving too late to pick up the girls, but the next morning at 7:30am, I wanted to kiss Kristin (Thomas) for already having been up for an hour, getting all the girls ready for school. I was also ridiculously happy I'd put the garbage out already (the bears are still sleeping so that's ok) and didn't have to leave our warm bed for that either. It's the little things in life, you know??

No comments:

Post a Comment