Sunday, March 6, 2011

Saturday March 5th

One of life's ironic cruelties is that when you're stressed, your immune system - right when you really need it - gets compromised. I haven't gotten sick in years, but I managed to find a banging sinus/head cold that kept my brain feeling like it was going to burst out of my skull for most of last week. My biggest worry was that I would pass it on to Nicolas, whose system was far more taxed. With his cracked sternum, blowing his nose is painful, coughing is searing and sneezing is so bad it comes out almost like a cry. Those of you who've ever broken a rib know what that's like. He can actually worsen the fracture if he does anything too forceful, so I really didn't want to share this cold.

I was hopeful I was getting better (and that Nick had avoided it) when my ears popped as we were going over Wolf Creek Pass a few days ago. I'd been trying to blow them open for days, and it finally worked, which was fortunate for poor Nick because I'd been singing as though I had headphones on. Tuesday in Denver was the first day without the pounding headache so by Friday I was sure we were out of the woods, but Nick has been sneezing and blowing his nose all day today. I feel so bad for him because he's already so uncomfortable.

He looks really good on the outside. The healing's been amazing and if he wears dark sunglasses you might think he just sprained a finger or something. The gashes have all healed remarkably well (took the stitches out of the to-the-bone cut in his ankle this morning), the sutures in his tongue have been removed and he speaks much better, his legs are not black and blue anymore, his face has lost all swelling and his hand about 60%, although it's still a funky colour.

But the way he looks belies the way he feels. His busted teeth make eating very painful, with or without the broken jaw. His eyes (both) are so sore he has them shut for much of the time. His grey hand aches. And most of his energy is being sapped by a body trying to heal itself. It physically pains my heart to see my strong man hunched and silently hurting. But I think he's just biding his time. He knows this will pass, and he's surviving the second phase of this nightmare. I'm looking forward to the day we fully wake up from it.

5 comments:

  1. Big Big hug & TONS of energy & healing to Nick & do drink some ginger tea to scare that not needed cold away. Next year same time you'll be thinking of this & be okay again ♥ ALWAYS - your Christmas fairy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hold on ! We think about you ! We wish we could send you some strength. Profit from Saint RaphaĆ«l, it is a good place to rest and to do nothing. I remember, when I was a kid, being sick by Claire et Sam, it was perfect to be coddled…
    On vous embrasse
    Corinne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I could bring over some Orangina and some good ol' chocolate fountain (figured he can only have chocolate melted!). Give Nick the biggest hug from Caate and I today...we're thinking of you and saying a big ol' prayer for you guys too!!!

    With lots of love to make you all better Nick,
    Carala and Caate (and the boys too!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kim, You and the Nick you are married to have been in my prayers. Glad to see him recovering. It will be a slow process, but I hope you guys will be up to the trip back East for the AISl reunion in July...details to follow...Beijinhos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I was going to send some chocolate cherries to speed up the recovery but I'm having second thoughts now!... :) Missing you lots these days! ...T

    ReplyDelete