Sunday, November 20, 2011

Lucky Unlucky 13

Thirteen years lucky or unlucky? That’s the question. The years themselves have been wonderful, but it strikes me as curious that it was all nearly taken away from me in the thirteenth year of our marriage. And if it had ended differently, I definitely would have considered it an extremely unlucky Year 13! But alas, here I sit next to my Nicolas driving through Page, Arizona, on our way to Las Vegas - because isn’t that where everyone spends Thanksgiving?



Actually, if there’s anything I’ve learned over the past thirteen years it's that calling it a trip to Vegas was a way to get his three girls to agree to go rock climbing over Thanksgiving break. The Red Rock cliffs are not far away from the lights of the strip.
Far, far away from those lights we celebrated November 18th with a meal cooked entirely by Cayenne. She poured us cocktails and served us cashews to enjoy while she labored in the kitchen over grilled chicken breasts marinated in olive oil and paprika, and a potato and cherry tomato salad with olive oil, lemon and mint (dishes she chose out of a cookbook from Ilona and Michel). For dessert she baked my Mom’s ginger cookies, a recipe Cayenne has made her specialty. What a wonderful anniversary!



So do I consider myself lucky Nick and I are still together to celebrate? Absolutely. Was it lucky he had to go through this nightmare? Absolutely not. Does it matter what I call it? No.

I’m just going to enjoy every minute we have.
  

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations for this anniversary. WE are lucky to have you in our lives, to profit from your hiking and your discoveries through this blog, and we are proud to know that this strong family, and these strong persons are our cousins. Still difficult to go and see you (I checked the price again today for a possible flight between Toronto and the Colorado and it is crazy), but it's good to know that you are there, and I am sure that the fourteenth year will be sweet after the difficulties of this one.

    ReplyDelete