Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Love

The last time I was a true celebrator of Valentine's Day was in elementary school, when we received a pile of little cards (only from kids who wanted to send one; not from the whole class), and we woke up to find a piece of chocolate on our plates as my Mom prepared a special breakfast. As an adult I pretty much ignored it until we had our own children to make it special for. But when I found out Acacia's class was not having a party because "not everyone celebrates the holiday," it got my hackles up. Or perhaps I should say, it offended me. Valentine's is not a holiday, nor something to "believe in," but just a fun thing that people enjoy if they want to. Every other class in the school is having a party, but Acacia said there's a new student in her class whose family doesn't celebrate anything traditional, Hallmark-y, patriotic (no pledge, etc.) or religious.

That's fine. But having the entire class forfeit their celebration in order not to "offend" one child (and really, the kid would probably love to participate...) is teaching this child the world revolves around him, and everyone else should stop what they're doing to make sure they're not stepping on his little toes. So this sweet innocent kid, who could have been picked up a half hour before the end of school today, is probably going to grow up to be an egocentric, spoiled jerk. And all because of some social experiment his parents are conducting. (Yes, the claws are out.)

I've never been a fan of political correctness; I find it boring, unimaginative and creatively restrictive. It runs against the flow of language's natural evolution, and is creating a society of celebrated mediocrity. But this is going too far. I think I'll suggest that I don't believe in Mondays, and because it would be offensive to me to have my kids go to school on such a day, thereby recognising  its existence, everyone in our school should stay home. Especially if there's fresh powder at the mountain. Ski day everyone!

So yeah, Valentine's Day. It's something I've never paid much mind to. But it is now a date that actually has meaning in our family. It's hard to believe, but a year ago today Nick fell out of the sky. His hand has only just recently begun to look normal, he's taken to living with one eye without any apparent period of adjustment, the bones have all healed, the stitches left only barely visible scars if anything, the most damaged of his teeth have been repaired, and he's flying nearly every day. 

Everything has returned to normal, and yet nothing has remained the same. Life just feels different now. More fragile, more vulnerable, and more appreciated.

As I cooked heart-shaped pancakes for the girls' breakfast this morning, I thought about what Jeanette mentioned last night: that we're not celebrating the anniversary of the crash, but rather Nick's survival. Then I noticed a card by the stove. "Kimber." And part of what he said in it was the only thing he wanted to think about or remember today was his love for me and his family.

So apparently we won't be renaming today Father's Day or anything (the thought did cross my mind...). Instead we'll focus on the good things in life and on all the love surrounding us.

I guess we'll just start celebrating Valentine's Day.

Wishing you all a happy one! ♥

  

3 comments:

  1. How about making every day a Valentines day?? to remember to love our love ones... ♥ u all
    B'nana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said, Kim (& I SOOO agree about the political correctness stuff!). Can't believe it's been a year already, but definitely a day to celebrate. Angie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nous avons beaucoup pensé à vous cette année, en skiant ... Vous nous avez manqué !
    Déjà un an !Le temps passe très vite, trop vite.
    Nicolas, j'ai trouvé une nouvelle station géniale au-dessus de Birançon, on voyait la barre des Ecrins tous les jours. Tu aurais aimé !
    Grosses pensées à vous tous. Nous sommes heureux de savoir que tout reprend peu à peu sa place, que Nicolas a retrouvé un avion pour voler et que vous êtes toujours tous là !
    Love
    Marion

    ReplyDelete