Saturday, March 17, 2012

My Leprechauns

You know how sometimes your kids can do something sooo bad, it almost makes you laugh? When Acacia was only five, she was so mad at Nick she cut a hole in our sheet on his side of the bed. That is so naughty it floored me she even thought of it.

My Mom once told me that when I came home from school with a letter from my 3rd grade teacher saying she finally figured out that all my book reports had been totally made up - title, characters, plot - that she and my Dad had a good laugh about it. Personally, I'm appalled it took the teacher so long... but I guess they didn't have Google back then.

So when I first saw that the gorgeous indigo glass in the girls' bathroom cabinet was shattered I wanted to wring someone's neck. I'd had to work for a few hours and Nick was flying, so the girls had a list of chores to do to keep them out of trouble: Laundry, which they did, with half the clothes inside-out, washed with Shout; Bring in firewood from the garage, which they did, leaving a trail of dust and bark through the house; and Clean their bathroom, which they were working on when Cayenne got annoyed with Acacia - who was sitting on the toilet reading a Calvin and Hobbes book - and she slammed the cabinet door. Crack!

But then I looked more closely and noticed all the shards had been crudely super-glued back together. My mind was instantly overtaken by the image of the two of them looking at each other aghast, trying desperately to come up with a plan, and furiously piecing the door back together, mumbling a ten-year-old version of the mantra: "Oh shit oh shit oh shit."

Nick made that cabinet. I love it. But I can't stop myself from giggling every time I think of the girls banding together to fix a disaster.



Just don't tell them that!

   

4 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's Day, Kim! (It is here in the UK)

    I think I'm most impressed with the fact the girls managed to avoid supergluing themselves to the cabinet. How much pocket money is it going to take to replace the glass?

    Oh, I also think your teacher should have given you an A for your imagination.

    Love you
    Gill xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Put the blame on Calvin ! Who would be surprised that he made another disaster…

    ReplyDelete
  3. The culprit is Hobbes for sure ! It's always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete