Sunday, July 15, 2012

Mt. Sneffels

One of the best things about climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro was saying it: Kilimanjaro. The name is so full of mystery and adventure and romance...

Mt. Sneffels? Not so much!

But it is truly stunning. One month ago today we headed out on the girls' fifteenth 14er via the Blue Lakes ridge because, according to my Nicolas, the normal route is too boring. We were rewarded for that choice by surprising some gorgeous bighorn sheep who were spying on the crowded rock gully where everyone else was. 

The ridge vs. the loose rock route in the foreground



Both humans and sheep were thinking, "Whoa! Where'd you come from?"






Cozy
Nice hair, Papa.



A little blowy on the col

My friend Atsushi - the one unfortunate enough to have been in the Landy with me when I rolled it in Namibia - bought me these boots 20 years ago. They're still my favourites.

Post-climb we headed to Ouray where we met up with the Grands for a wonderful evening
 before the following day's swim meet.

Yellow cap in the closest lane is Acacia doing the butterfly.

The girls have been asking if we're actually going to go anywhere interesting this summer... Hmmm...

3 comments:

  1. Bring em to London! ;)

    But seriously, have they forgotten the trip to Disney already?!?

    g x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh... but that was the spring. This is summer! They know that we go away during the winter and stay here in this amazing place during summer, but they're pre-teens. They have to whine about something.

      Delete
  2. I ♥ your photos - our lives so different - you got wild nature & I only tamed cities. Thank you for sharing. & your wonderful family. Got a kick out of the one with Ilona & her young mini-me ♥
    B'nana

    ReplyDelete