Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Don't Stand Still in the Jungle

"Aaaiiiii!"

Fire ants. The bite that keeps on biting.

With snakes, small crocs (caimans) and other creepy crawlies reportedly residing in the lush forest by our bungalow, I was watching my step very carefully... so when I wanted to scout the trees above for sloths or something equally cool, I stopped walking to look up. It took about four seconds for the fire ants to pounce on the fresh meat.

The trail was beautiful and felt extra jungle-y because of the stone statues--made of genuine Styrofoam--left over from Survivor (which has been filmed in Panama numerous times), so we didn't really mind that the red frogs and caimans seemed to have been voted off the island.





We emerged from the thicket and headed toward the pier that led to our bungalow when I froze--my voice mid-sentence and my leg mid-air--as I nearly tripped over a three-toed sloth. It's the coolest thing I've ever almost stepped on.


And quite possibly the cutest.



He came to a complete stop--which was not much slower than his full speed--to pose for a photo.

How awesome.



The bungalow didn't suck too much either.

 

1 comment:

  1. Totally awesome! One of my zookeeper friends at London Zoo was always being teased for letting a sloth escape when he was cleaning their enclosure. "They can move fast when they want to!" was his aggrieved response.

    Remember where I got bit by that ant in Gombe? Not one for revealing to the online community.... ; )

    Glad you guys having a wonderful time. g x

    ReplyDelete