Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Be Careful What You Wish For!

Holy guacamole!

Since we bought this house I've wanted to do something about the saltillo floors. I love them and they fit in perfectly, but after 25 years they begin to look tired. And by tired I mean gross. I appreciate them in old Mexican restaurants and feel they add to the history and ambiance, but in a private home not so much.

When you can't even find a blueberry you know just fell on the floor because it blends in so well with all the "history," it's time. Time to tear it all out (too expensive) or have it professionally cleaned (spent $800 doing that and it looked exactly the same) or sand down 1/16" of it and start over.



I've wanted it for years and yesterday out of the blue Nick started sanding. Well, out of the blue for me. Apparently he's been thinking about how to attack the job for ages - but the first I heard of it was when he broke out the sander. Everything still on the counters and so much dust that last night, even with all the doors closed, upstairs in our bathroom I could write my name in the red dirt coating our bathtub.



He's sanded until 10pm for three days


Not easy on the back






This morning I got up early and washed all the dishes that were on the counter when he started.
It all pretty much turned to clay.





Of course if he had told me what he was planning on doing, I could have mentioned that I'm hosting book club this week. Or was, anyway. But I guess it's better to postpone book club than to put a damper on his enthusiasm,
because I really do want this.

I think.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------






 

2 comments: