Saturday, November 1, 2014

On Being Tricked and Treated







If I hadn't been on a local street blocked off from traffic for a Halloween block party - filled with trick-or-treaters and campfires in driveways and people I knew - I might've been taken aback by the long shadow I noticed creeping up behind me while talking to Nick on the phone. I had called him in Phoenix to share what we were up to, as I try to keep him involved in our day-to-day lives as much as possible, and it'd been a little too chaotic to call him earlier with six middle school girls running around the house costuming-up.

I ladled hot cider and chili from the cauldrons on the stove to fill their bellies with a little protein before the sugar fest...




... and then they were off to forage.





After Timberline, where their favourite treat was homemade Zombie Fingers baked by our next door neighbor Uwe, they headed to the Rio Vista block party.

(Photo credit: Petra!)



I was describing to Nick the warm evening, the jumping castle and the kids dancing in the street when I noticed that shadow slink up very close to me, so I spun around and smacked right into - Nick.

"Ahhhhh!"

"Surprise."


When his last class of the day ended an hour early he spontaneously jumped in the car and didn't stop for nearly seven hours until he was home home. He missed his three girls.





We were a little bit tricked - and a whole lot treated!


 

1 comment:

  1. Quel coquin, ce Nicolas! Hope you've great fun for the week-end.
    Kisses and love to all of you.

    ReplyDelete