Sunday, March 1, 2015

Eggsactly What I Needed to Remember Most of the Time, Life is Sunny Side Up


"It was the eggs. They just wouldn't set."

The policeman looked at me. 

"The eggs?"

"Yes. I've got breakfast for 40 of my colleagues in the back and those darn eggs wouldn't set. So I was almost late and now I am."

His eyes smiled, I swear.

"When are you supposed to be there?"

"Now."

"I'll be quick," he said, as he returned to his unmarked, light blue, Chevy sedan that looked like something Cheech & Chong would drive billowing smoke.

I'd known I was speeding and had been very aware of every vehicle around me and there were no police cars... until there was, in disguise. Should be illegal.

I called our manager Geoff and told him breakfast would be a couple of minutes late because I got pulled over. 

"You have no infractions in the last 120 days, so I'll just give you a warning," the incognito cop said.

"Really? Thank you! Would you like some breakfast?"


As I came down the stairs with two coffee cakes, a huge fruit salad and loads of chorizo green chili eggs, I heard Geoff make the announcement of why their food wasn't here yet, and the ensuing laughter.

Then I walked into the meeting room to a roaring round of applause.


It was going to be a good day.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment