Monday, June 27, 2011

Congratulations! It's a...

... rock!

Nick gave birth last night to a 4mm kidney stone. Actually, the tiny little sharp piece of hell made its way out of his kidneys last night, tumbled into his bladder this morning, and was delivered this afternoon. 

At about 11pm the first stab of pain told him exactly what his kidneys had planned for the night. By 1:30am, I was checking him into the ER while he vomited into the bushes outside. The staff took care of him immediately and I left him there, shaking, pale and groaning, because I had to get back home to three girls who were still fast asleep (one with a growling stomach, I'll bet!). 

See what happens when you joke about needing to get all your illnesses out of the way while your deductible is still met?? The good news is the CAT-Scan showed there was no more gravel lying in wait.

My sister Diane officially welcomed Nick to The Stone Club; having passed four ginormous rocks, she's a Platinum Member. I think I'll skip this one. The initiation is too brutal!


     

4 comments:

  1. When things hapen to go in the wrong way, one never knows when it will finish! anyway, I hope Nicolas will fully recover, and will be again able to make big rides or walks, with all of you.

    Best loves for all, especially cayenne, whose birthday i didn't forget, but we were out of Internet (and ordinary phone too), for 4 days, fromm last thursday till yesterday morning. and now, we are using an oldfashion way, still avaible on my old computer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! My husband is a member of that club. His first time was in the Revelstoke, BC. while visiting family. Took him to the ER when I woke up to find him on his knees, green/grey tinge to his skin, groaning and moaning. At first I tought he was praying. Anyway, ER nurse pumped him full of morphine and dramamine and we drove back to Edmonton. He's had a couple since but not as bad as the first one. I hope things get better, this too shall pass! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Kim and especially Nick

    Ok, half of the year is done, you should now hurry up a little and find a strategy to optimize the possibility to have all the possible diseases before next year. It's time to try also the plague, the cholera… why not test the leprosy this fall, the diphteria for Halloween and small pox for Christmas ? The ER might miss you and doctors might get bored…
    OK, (some people will not find my humor funny), take care, all of you. (and if we say : take care, you do it !) On pense bien à vous.
    Corinne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this story sounds very familiar to me, only I am not nearly as helpful and sympathetic a wife as you. Several years ago when the girls were about 8, 7 and 4 Paul woke up at 4:30 am complaining of the worst pain he had ever felt, I put him off as he paced the hallway complaining, finally I told him I would drive him to the clinic just as soon as I got the girls on the school bus and Catyra off to preschool. By about 8:30 am I was dropping him off at the Stat-care clinic across the street from the Lakeshore Hospital. He walked in with his tupperware as he had been vomiting with every bump the van took (Quebec roads, you can't beat them). I told him I'd be back in about 20 minutes, I had forgotten my blow dryer at the nearby Pointe Claire pool the day before and I wanted to go retrieve it.
    When I returned to Stat-care I didn't see him in the waiting room so I walked up to the desk and asked which examination room he was in, "You mean the guy who was passing a kidney stone? We sent him right to the hospital." Oh no, I was sure they had not called an ambulance, how did he get there? He walked through the snow with his vomit bucket; I'm such a bad wife. By the time I found him in the ER he was already pleasantly pain free on a Morphine drip and he didn't have the strength to get upset at me, thank goodness....he told me to grab his valuables and that he would call me when he needed a ride home. That phone call came at about 8 pm that night, the ordeal was over and I will never live it down.

    ReplyDelete