Sunday, June 26, 2011

Dry Raisin Bran for Dinner

Every now and again it's good to have the girls' friends over to remind me that at least when it comes to eating, we have it pretty easy. Here's a conversation I had with a friend of Cayenne's this evening:

"What's for dinner?"

"Salade Nicoise."

"What's that?"

"A big salad with mixed greens, potatoes, tomatoes, boiled eggs, French string beans, tuna and a bunch of other yummy things." Figured I shouldn't mention the black olives.

"But what are you making for the main dish?"

"The salad is so loaded, it's a meal."

"Well I don't like tuna."

"Okay, I'll take out your portion before adding the tuna, then."

"I don't like the other stuff in it either."

"I was going to make pasta with arugula pesto, but chose this because you're gluten intolerant."

"What's arugula pesto?"

I explained and she said she'd rather have that. I looked at my almost finished salad and for a brief second, thought about putting it away for tomorrow and making the pasta, until my brain kicked back in and I realised she wasn't going to like the pasta either.

Nick and Acacia were still on their long (eight hours in the end!) mountain bike ride so we went ahead and ate. Cayenne and I had the Nicoise, and her friend had leftover macaroni with tomato sauce. Well, she looked at it anyway. Ate one bite ("I don't like tomato sauce."). So glad I didn't make the pasta!

"How about a smoothie?"
"Already had one today."

"How about cheese and crackers, or yogurt with fruit on the bottom?"
"I'm lactose intolerant; can't eat dairy."
"You sure you're not just intolerant??" Just kidding. I didn't really say that. Not out loud.

"How about watermelon?"
"I love watermelon. Can you cut out different shapes like at the grocery store so there's no rind?"
"No." (This I did say.)
She ate a total of one bite of watermelon.

A little while later...

"What are you eating?"

(Dang! Totally got caught with my spoon in a pint of Cookie Dough ice cream.)

"Is that Ben & Jerry's? I can eat Ben & Jerry's."
"But I thought you were lactose intolerant?"
"I am but Ben & Jerry's is okay."

"Is it bedtime yet??"

2 comments:

  1. You're a very patient lady, my friend! After the 2nd "I don't" I would've said: " Let's call your Mom, it's time to go home!" Our kids are pretty adventurous eaters but, alas, we do have a vegetarian girl. She doesn't eat meat but she loves all sorts of legumes and veggies. She would've loved Salade Nicoise. Tuna is one of her favorite foods. I love your stories Kim. i look forward to catching up with the Cofman-Jellema adventures. How's your daughters' knee doing? I hope you'll be staying away from hospitals for a while. Peace to all, Veronica

    ReplyDelete