Thursday, November 1, 2012

All Treats No Tricks

Trick or treat!
Smell my feet!
Give me something good to eat!
Not too big, not too small,
just the size of Montreal!

The things that take up primo real estate in your brain are worrying sometimes. But that they can lie dormant for 35 years and then pop into your consciousness is pretty amazing. (For the record, we used to sing that song while skipping between the houses, but never at an open door. I do have standards, you know.)


Me at 9 or 10 yrs: "Trick or Treat!"

Neighbour Mr. Saulnier: "Show me a trick and I'll give you a treat."

Me: "Give me a treat and I'll show you a trick."

He hands me a piece of candy and I unwrap it.

Me: "Now you see it." Gulp. "Now you don't!"

I was very impressed with myself for scoring two treats at the Saulnier's. When I think about the entire pillowcase my-sweet-tooth-self used to fill with candy trick-or-treating in our neighborhood in Montreal, I realise that moving to Portugal was really a very, very good thing for me.

Halloween isn't the most meaningful of holidays, but it's proving to be a great opportunity to create fun family traditions and lasting memories (apparently).





City market's pumpkins were squishy this year. I wonder if they froze on their way to the store, or it's just too warm out?


Our Spanish Dancer



Some of the many neighbourhood kids enjoying a Chili Dinner at the Thomases pre-trick-or-treating


Dorothy. She wants to be a monster next year...
I'm thinking with those missing teeth she should've been a rabbit.


Fair Trade


Even the sky played along with its witch's hat on orange. :)


If you live in the candybelt (U.S. & Canada), I hope you had a hoot!!

    

No comments:

Post a Comment