Saturday, November 24, 2012

14 Years on the 18th Day


When an idea makes its way into Nick's brain, the seed lies seemingly dormant for eons. But internally it germinates and begins to sprout soundlessly until it becomes a fully blossomed creature. That's when I find out about it. His latest is a new face for the kitchen. And while I'm all about trading up our 25-year-old electric Jenn-Air, I wasn't prepared for his taking a hammer to the wall while he was still telling me the plan. 

"Do we really need to start now?"

"Why not? I've got it all figured out."

"Because we haven't done anything about it for six years, and today we have friends coming over for dinner. I'll bet it can wait a few hours longer."

But no. It couldn't. And by the time our guests walked through the door, the wall behind our small fridge (Part A of the Plan) had been knocked out, re-insulated, and re-drywalled. It was .75" wider, 4" deeper, and ready for a new fridge. 

It took us so long to do that because we'd always thought it would involve moving the load-bearing wall on one side of the fridge, and/or the cabinets on the other. With busting out the wall behind it, all we needed to do was trim some of the counter tile.

Which brings me to why I'm even telling you this story. With a dremel in one hand and the hose to an industrial vacuum cleaner inhaling all the dust in the other, my monocular husband cut that tile in such a perfectly straight line, I was awed. I was cleaning up construction debris on his blind side so he didn't notice me proudly staring at him, as he held the small dremel in position for a good twenty minutes without wavering, never straying from the Sharpie line. Not easy with one eye!



November 18, 1998, Mauritius.


Happy Anniversary to a man who continues to amaze me.

(I'm still working on getting him to let me in on his plans a little earlier in the game, but I've only been trying for 14 years. I'll just have to be as tenacious as he is!)

--------------------------------------------------------------

PS: Greetings to Nick's aunt and uncle Francoise and Philippe who are currently in Reunion, where we spent our honeymoon!
  

2 comments:

  1. 14 ans déjà, je n'arrive pas à y croire ! J'ai l'impression que c'était hier que nous fêtions cela à St Raphaël, avec une maison déjà pleine de monde et une magnifique pièce montée !
    Bon anniversaire à tous les deux, continuez ainsi à nous faire aimer la vie !
    Bises
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Philippe et FrançoiseDecember 8, 2012 at 8:10 AM

    Et bien sûr, nous avons pensé à vous en passant près de l'ilet (village) "Cayenne" dans le cirque de Mafate.
    Bises

    ReplyDelete