Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Routine Chaos


So here's our home this morning, four minutes before leaving for school:


"Mom? I need to bring my bike in today. Can you get it down?"

Get the bike down. Flat tire. Search for pump.

Text to Nick: "Do you have the bike pump?"

Nick: "Yup."

"Mom? You need to sign these forms."

Search for pen. Don't know what I'm signing.

Text to Erika (who was driving carpool today): "Can we borrow your bike pump?"

"Mom? Can you get this soup into the Thermos while I brush my teeth?"

Notice soup all over the counter from her attempt at Thermos filling.

"Mom? Where's the brush?"

"Wherever you left it."

"Mom? Can you sign my planner?"

Now where did I put down that pen?

"Mom - I need to bring in a check for the rock climbing thing."

Search for checkbook.

"Whom do I make it out to?"

"I don't know."

Erika pulls up with a Suburban full of kids and a bike pump. Quinn helps Acacia pump up the tires while Cayenne pulls out a pencil and starts asking me questions for the interview she was supposed to conduct for homework last night.


As they back out of the driveway and it becomes very, very still, I can't help but think, " and my Mom had five."



2 comments:

  1. Où que l'on habite, quelque soit le nombre d'enfants à la maison, nos discussions se ressemblent étrangement ...
    "Mom .. do you know where is/are... ?"
    "Mom, can you sign, write ... "
    Bises ... et de tout coeur avec toi
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  2. ;-) ♥ one day they'll be thinking like you do now - ♥

    ReplyDelete